Monday 28 April 2008

LOVE MUSIC HATE RACISM

Sunday afternoon i'm looking over my window. the weather was crap. it was pissing down.
My favourite musician ever would be playing in a few hours, in victoria park - London - for free and there I was even suggesting I might stay at home.

But love can move mountains, one said, and there i went.

3 tube jounerys and a bus journey later, I finaly made it.

The park is huge and the organisation guy said 100.000 people were there.
Not so sure about that one.

In my opinion, as a foreigner in this city, i thought it was a brilliant idea to have a a festival with great bands, some of the best musicians in the world, and all for a great cause and for free. I don't know if they got payed to do it or if they payed it themselves. It wasnt that trendy crap of live8 in which then later you know celebrities get perks of thousands of pounds.

On saturday i went for a walk with a friend at the southbank and ended up in the bookshop from tate modern.
I was showing my friend Gaudi's biography. Gaudi is one of my favourite artists. My friend never heard of Gaudi so i told him a bit about his work and his life. At the end of my explanation i conclued with a a thought i never had before. i said " How could someone do so much in only one life time". That thought was very deep for me and i started thinking about all the things i need to do. This was followed by the oddest question one has ever made in my living memory

(Are you ready art lovers?) " WAS GAUDI A MILIONAIRE?"

I MIGHT HAVE TURNED INTO A RAINBOW..." I don't know...i never thought about that to be honest...i know him for being a genious and he designed lots of buildings in Barcelona including the amazing sagrada familia"

he then continued" but don't you think he should be a milionaraire"

.... silence


" no. why? the respect the world has for him is bigger than any money in the world"


this lasted for at least half hour until i shut my trap.

I just couldn't believe my friend gave so much value to money. He gave the exemple of madre Teresa. he said she wasn't rich yet she did so much good to the world.

It's not that she didnt earn money, the money she got from her popularity she just gave it away because HELPING OTHERS WAS WORTH MORE THAN ANY MONEY IN THE WORLD!

Now back to music against racism.

I had to mention this conversation to make my point of this post.

Other people. with a different background than mine might think this is ridiculous or that it just doesn't make sense. And i dont mind at all because that's part of what i am, being tolerant.

i don't do things in my daily life to become rich and becoming a celebrity for me just doesn't make any sense.

of course i know that if i had more money i could rent or even buy a better house, or eat in better places, or travel more .

but what i have now is good and im grateful.i never questioned myself if gaudi was a milionaire of leonard da vince... to me they are genius and no money in the world can buy that. the knoledge they gave us made them happy and for them teaching others what they have found was the best thing ever.

it's all about the value you give to things.

i believe we should be tolerant and most of all respectful of one another. and if in our day to day basis we show our respect and our gratefulness, then, money may come easier. it's the force of us all united that makes the world go round.

I hope the 100.000 people yesterday at victoria park will make a change.

No comments: