Sunday 27 January 2008

Longpigs - Lost Myself

It is a beautiful tune. It´s not my favorite but a very important track. Marked, for sure, a changing point in my life.
I have an absolute devotion for music and with it comes music videos. For years and years the only sport i practiced was running like mad from my bedroom to the living room. A  complete looney to touch the magic button of rec and copy my favorite videos.That used to upset my parents who were quietly enjoying their calm evening. Many times fell in the floor, had many  bruises. The video was always ready and the tape HAD to be inside the video. It was my first ever obsession. I got over it after a few years but i´m getting back to it now though not so strong because there´s Youtube.If only i knew that one day record companies would release DVDs (WHAT??????) with all the videos... 
I had a tape ready inside my VHS player on saturday afternoon, exactly the 1st of May of 1997 when my dad insisted that i cleaned something he thought i messed. I said, like any rebel girl of 13 that i didn´t do it, so i wouldn´t tidy. He felt upset, like never before, opened the VHS player and took my tape out and smashed it full of rage. My father is the most pacient man i´ve ever known, he is so kind and generous. He was not in  good day. Happens to all...
when i saw my tape in pieces i couldnt´t believe and cried for many days. In this tape was Longpigs performing at TOTP "Lost myself". 11 years ago, in a suburb near Lisbon was very difficult to get records, better to buy them. No one, appart from my sister, knew the same bands as us where we lived. They used to call us "britpop girls".There was a channel that played on saturday afternoon the latest TOTP edition and that was my only source to ear the new sounds of britpop. To me losing that tape was like loosing a piece of me. Those VHS were my soul. Still today they are. It was my world, all my dreams combined in  magnetic tapes. But one was broken.
i took every single piece of the tape and very carefully kept it inside a grey Virgin bag for more than 7 years. I knew technology or i would find in the future a way to have that Longpigs recording back. 
And so it happened. First I glued the tape gently; Then opened another tape ( it had recorded the user´s guide to use my mobilephone - not interesting) and placed the tape into the new one. Closed it and tried to play it. With success i saw it again. I cried tears of joy. The version you see is not the one in my tape, but it´s a good one aswell.

After all, never loose faith in what you love the most, whatever it is that you love dearly.And it goes like this...

No comments: